Monday, January 13, 2014

Unconditional Love

For over a year, I have thought about the idea of a new tattoo.  A tattoo to signify my unconditional love for each of my children.  This is something that I wouldn't do on impulse or a whim and wanted to make sure it was absolutely perfect.  I googled thousands of images for ideas over the months.  I debated whether to get an awareness ribbon for Carter or not because Mitochondrial Disease isn't what defines him.  I also knew I wanted initials for each of my children.  While laying in bed a few weeks ago, it came to me.  I knew what I wanted.  Our family is all about music and it has become an iconic symbol for all Carter's fundraisers for research and I find myself doodling them on notes I make or grocery lists.  I was ready to schedule an appointment and have it sketched out!  And what better present for my 28th birthday!  My husband wasn't entirely on board with the idea but he knew that after months and months of talking about it, that I had made up my mind.  When I called to make the appointment, I was told that the man I requested was booked out until the end of the month, but WAIT...he had a last minute cancellation for the following evening. Without hesitation, I took it.  I was so excited, I could barely stand it and was so thankful that I wouldn't have to wait too long.  The tattoo artist drew up exactly what I wanted and even more!  Seeing it drawn out with all of the details I wanted, was surreal!  It was a piece of art that I would have on my body for the rest of my life and I couldn't imagine anything more perfect.  I decided to go ahead with the awareness ribbon because the way that the artist drew it up, it looks as though the bar of music is shooting out of the ribbon.  Carter fills our life with joy and happiness so this carries significant meaning for me.  My husband asked me if I was nervous and my answer was easy, "no." I was ready to get it done!  It took about 45 minutes, but the pain wasn't bad and before I knew it, it was time to look at it in the mirror!  Perfect.  No other words for it than that.  The hibiscus flower that I added it to needs some revamping (is 9 years old), but I will do it sometime this year.  For now, I am just so so happy with my unconditional love tattoo!  And as if it couldn't get any better, my husband absolutely loves it too!  He is thinking about getting one similar so that we have matching art!

No comments:

Post a Comment