Monday, April 28, 2014

Triple dog dare you...

I am not one to debate or spark drama, but I feel the need to express my feelings on this popular "cold water challenge" debacle.  From what I understand, it is a follow-the-leader event where people are basically dared to jump in to a cold lake to avoid donating money to a charity.  Really?!  This seems backwards to me.  I may be a debbie downer for saying it, but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous fads I've ever seen.  I helped raise money for special olympics AND jumped into a frozen lake as a way to say, "this cause is totally worth it and I'm willing to jump into freezing water if people will help me with the cause".  And now people are copping out on donating to a charity by taking a silly dare and jumping in to a lake.  Umm, okay.  If those people who are jumping in to cold lakes to look cool on Facebook would donate whatever they could afford to a charity of their choice, there would be a good amount of very much needed money that could be put to good use.  If as many people were willing to donate to charity as there are to inflict hypothermia to themselves, what a difference those people could make.  Save your gas money, video taping time and excitement over copy cat challenges and devote it to something useful…make a difference in this corrupt world.  Let's not forget that some people devote their lives to creating charities to raise money for research in hopes of saving their loved ones lives some day…or at least saving lives in the future, while you are playing silly games so you don't have to do something honorable.  I triple dog dare you.


No comments:

Post a Comment