Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Preparations unlimited!

Only 14 days until we leave for Carter's Make a Wish trip!  It's coming up fast and there are so many preparations to be made!  I am scrambling to make sure we have all meds refilled and have been making list after list of all the things we cannot forget.  Most vacation lists consist of flip flops, sunscreen, bathing suits, shorts, ect.  Of course, our lists include those things too...well, one of my lists.  The other lists contain Carter's medical history and doctors numbers.  Another list has all of the medical supplies we can't be without and the last one is my "to do" list of things to have finished around the house before we leave.  I am probably a tad bit OCD when it comes to my house, but I don't like to go on vacation and come back to a mess.  I like to come back to a clean home that welcomes us as we come through the front door!  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the idea of packing for 5 people for such a huge trip!  The typical things that you pack for a trip are simple to replace once we get to our destination and are the least of my worries, but it's not easy to locate and obtain blue pads, Metabolic cocktails, Mic-key extensions, neocate formula...ahh, another big stresser.  How the heck am I supposed to pack 8-10 cans of formula?!  I haven't flown with Carter since his feeding tube was put in.  I never had to pack these things before, except when we have driven places which is simple in comparison.  I'm not entirely sure how it all works, but I'm thinking that we can each check a bag.  So I will pack the 3 kids and myself into one suitcase and pack another suitcase full of just medical supplies and formula.  Make a Wish assured us that we can take all of his medications on to the plane with us and the stewardess will put them up front in a refrigerator.  I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!  The trip itself will be amazing, I am sure of it!  But the packing and flying part is what scares me the most.  How will we entertain 3 kids on a 5 hour flight?!  I am most worried about Lily (who will be almost 21 months old).  She is a very active child who wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it.  I am so thankful that my husband will be there to help out!  In the 5 years that we have been married and over 10 times of flying with my older 2 children, he has never flown with us since his work schedule never allowed him the time off.  That brings me to another list I am working on; entertainment for the plane.  I am trying to keep our bags as light as possible, so deciding what things will be successful and enjoyable for 5 hours is actually very tricky.  So far, my definite ideas are the iPad, Nabi, coloring books, crayons, movies for the lap top, and mommy's phone!  Oh, the joys of modern technology!  Despite all the list making and preparing, I still anticipate monstrous melt downs and tantrums in the classic terrible 2 sense.  I am mentally preparing myself already!  I am taking myself to a happy place; sitting on the beach, watching my kids swim with dolphins, exploring the gigantic zoo and enjoying our peaceful family time.  We are going to try to forget all the medical mumbo jumbo for the 5 days and just enjoy Carter and his sisters.  Forget all of our worries back home and just live it up!  14 days!  Despite my long list of things to do to prepare, I KNOW it will be so worth every single bit!  And I can't stop saying how amazing Make a Wish is for all that they do for families like ours!  Without this granted wish, a vacation to this magnitude would not be possible for us!  I am so excited to go on adventure after adventure in such a beautiful city!  And to see my children smile and laugh as they see new things for the first time!  I know that this 5 day trip will fly by and soon be a blink of a memory with only pictures to remind us of how amazing it was.  I want the 14 days leading up to it, to go by slowly because I understand how fast time goes and how beautiful this trip will be.  I don't want to miss one second or stress over the lists I need to create.  I will look back at my pre-vacation stress and kick myself for ever worrying.  I want to embrace the moment.  This life can be tough, it can knock us down and take our breath away several times a day; but one thing is certain...this life is great despite the challenges.  Each of my children are so wonderful in their own ways and I wouldn't change a thing about them.  My son is so strong and determined to do all the things that we were worried he may never be able to do.  He is so absolutely beautiful in every way.  That little boy knows how to love and live; something many healthy people never learn to fully do.  My daughter, KayLeigh, is so thoughtful, creative and full of life!  She never hesitates to help out with her siblings or assist them when they struggle!  She has been right along side Carter through his battles encouraging him that he can do it and never fails to tell him how much she loves him.  That is something that can never be replaced or taught; that is just who she is.  My daughter, Lily, is the most rambunctious, motivated and strong willed baby's I have ever seen.  I can't imagine her ever letting anyone tell her what to do because she has ideas of her own.  She gets frustrated when her big brother knocks her down or pulls her hair, but she gets right back up, pats his back and gives him a toy.  She loves unconditionally and makes me so proud.  When I take her to Carter's classroom, she explores all of the medical equipment with wonder, not fear!  She enjoys saying "hi" to all of his classmates.  She doesn't see difference in the world; she only sees new things to learn and love.  I couldn't ask for more wonderful children and I am the luckiest momma in the world.  I can't wait for them to get to
San Diego and just have fun!  They deserve that more than anything in the world! 14 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment